Filling out forms and applications is an important part of the respiratory care licensure procedure. The KBRC expects all questions answered completely and acurately. Always check your forms and applications to make sure nothing has been left blank. Failure to complete a document or answer a question will result in the application being returned to you.
Important information regarding regulations and fee changes. Please read carefully. Regulations and Fee Changes
The procedures for licensure that follow are designed to protect the individual as well as the facility from liability that could arise from someone being on staff without proper license which could result in fines for both the individual and the facility.
$50.00 Limited Mandatory or Student License is required for those students who intend to work while in school. It is a 3yr. license that expires once the individual graduates. All remaining time of Student License will expire. To continue working, individuals must apply immediately for a Temporary License with the KBRC.
$85.00 Temporary License is a 6 month license based from the date of graduation or until the individual passes the NBRC credentialing exam. Proof of graduation must be sent to receive the license. Once the individual has passed the NBRC, the remainder of the 6 months will expire and the individual must immediately update to the final application for Mandatory License with the KBRC.
$125.00 Mandatory License is the final process for the individual to become a fully licensed respiratory therapist. Once a person has passed the CRT exam, the individual must send a copy of the test score together with the application for a Mandatory License and appropriate payment. The new therapist will receive a license number and license information. The new therapist must renew the license every 2 years and have 24 CEUs to continue working in the state of Kentucky.
Therapists from other states must use the same $125.00 Mandatory License Application. They will be required to send proof of NBRC credentials and all current license status from other states, to be licensed in the state of Kentucky.
Requirements to Present Your Reinstatement Request to the KY Board of Resiratory Care:
- Application for Reinstatement.
- How it happened + The Recovery Process + Future Goals and Plans = a written “what it was like, what happened, and what it’s like now.”
- 4-5 letters of support – some personal e.g. from 12-Step program and/or church; some professional
- Any treatment related documents – a letter of advocacy from the treatment provider or from a counselor involved in any on-going sessions
- Copy of any monitoring contract/agreement e.g. KYPRN
- Any court documents and/or arrest records if that pertains to the matter
- Any “resolution” documents from Board action or legal action
- Put the 10 sets of documents (or however many are asked) into a "nice" presentation binder or folder. Realize that the Board will be reading these – a positive impression is desired.
Contact the KBRC if you have any questions about the licensing process.
Payment for applications may be done by credit card once application and all documents related to applications have been faxed to the Board office for overview. There is a $5.00 convienence fee that will be added for applications paid by credit card.
If you have married, moved or had an address change during a two year license period, please use this form.
Change of Name / Address Form